1. Health

The "Living Doll", World Record-Holder and Human Barbie, Cindy Jackson

By April 29, 2009

Okay, so last night was installment #2 in Entertainment Tonight's "plastic surgery week". Their featured guest was Cindy Jackson, the woman who holds the world record for having had the most plastic surgery procedures (fifty of them, to be exact).

Ms. Jackson has been in the news for years now, chronicling her quest to look just like the impossibly-proportioned plastic play-thing, Barbie. The funny thing to me is that after all that surgery (with a price tag of well over $100,000) she looks strikingly like her before picture. And when the cameras zoomed in close, it was clear she looks every bit her age of 52. Or maybe it's just me.

The only obvious improvements I see are a more refined nose and lifted brows. Of course, she has also had plenty of "body work" (sounds like I'm talking about a car, doesn't it?), so I guess a slimmer body and larger breasts could also be considered improvements. But fifty surgeries? A hundred grand?

What I really want to know is this: Who is it that continues to operate on this woman? Is it all about the money? Is there no consideration of ethics?

Should a prospective surgeon assume that the dubious "honor" of her world record points to some sort of emotional disorder (and hence, refuse to operate)? Or is the sheer number of procedures not enough by itself to classify her as a plastic surgery addict? Is it possible to be emotionally healthy if so much of your life (and money) is devoted to surgically altering your appearance?

What do you think? Take my poll.

P.S. Tonight's ET episode promises to reveal which other famous sex symbol has inspired Ms. Jackson's latest surgical adventure. (My money is on Pam Anderson.)

See plastic surgery before and after photos.

=======================
Stay up to date: subscribe to
discussion in the plastic surgery forum.
=======================

Comments
May 2, 2009 at 6:36 pm
(1) Cindy Jackson says:

Sounds like sour grapes to me, Natalie! Especially when you have chosen to use a very old picture of me at Mariah Carey’s Halloween Party in London to accompany your blog. Hence the knife through the head and blood on my neck. There are thousands of paparazzi pictures of my available, so there was clearly an agenda to dig that one up from so long ago.

If you truly believe that I “look strikingly like” my before picture, then I suggest you have your vision checked. There are plenty of before pictures on my official site http://www.cindyjackson.com.

May 4, 2009 at 9:39 am
(2) Patricia says:

Cindy,

Anyone who proudly admits to, and makes a career out of having so much plastic surgery, deserves whatever commentary people want to make about her. I believe Natalie is using you as a warning, not an example.

Many people need plastic surgery because they have suffered birth defects or because they were in a fire or accident. Valid reasons. Having one procedure, or two? Understandable. But making a career out of it? Sad.

Knife through your head and blood on your neck? Which procedure is that for? You need help. Don’t take it out on Natalie. Talk to your psychiatrist.

May 4, 2009 at 10:05 am
(3) Paula says:

Someone’s got a case of sour grapes, but, yoohoo, Cindy…reality calling…it’s not Natalie.

So yes, Cindy, after seeing your response to the blog post, we get it.

You think that any criticism of you is jealousy. You think you’re beautiful. You think that carving up your face and body has made you someone to be admired. You feel a compulsive need to not only carve yourself up on a regular basis, but drop names of celebrities. You’re a narcissist who loves the idea that there are “thousands of paparazzi pictures” of you.

We get it Cindy.

Now, if only they figured out how to surgically transplant humility, self-awareness, and mental health, you might have a chance someday, like Pinocchio, of being a “real” girl…

May 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(4) Deborah says:

In my opinion, she is a beautiful woman and the pic on her site looks nothing like the before pic you posted here. While, I probably would be upset too, I understand your position on it and that you are here to write about plastic surgery issues. If someone is a celebrity, I guess they should not be upset about being talked about, but we are all human beings and I am sure her feelings were a bit hurt, so I understand her comment as well. The bottom line, if people can afford it and it makes them feel marvelous, then, why not. I am a bit envious, to tell you the truth, as God knows, I could use ALOT of work, but I cannot afford it. I was in a bad car accident many years ago with facial scars galore. It has very much affected my self-esteem, especially when my old friends, unbeknownst to me, were calling me “scarface Debbye”. I have had these scars since I was 15 years old, and then at 18 got in another accident and received even more. My nose is broken and was never fixed. My jaw was broken and I never looked the same. If I could, I would get surgery in a heartbeat, so, my point being, more power to Cindy for doing what she has done.

May 4, 2009 at 4:46 pm
(5) Angie says:

Well, I’m happy for Cindy that she has received all the attention and fame that she so desperately needs. It’s just too bad it didn’t come from her daddy. Only a woman with serious daddy issues would put herself at such risk to completely alter the body genetics and God gave her.

I’m not the most beautiful woman in the world but I’m confident in who I am. I have had breast augmentation after nursing 2 children because my breast shrunk from a B cup to a AA but I did it to fit into normal bras and clothing, not to gain the attention of every man and woman that I pass.

I truly feel sorry for Cindy, that her self esteem is so low that she feels this is the only way to be of any worth. I will be sure to constantly stress to my own daughters the value of inner beauty so they don’t one day feel like they have to do this to themselves.

May 6, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(6) Diana says:

To Debbie, who was called scarface–how shameful of people to do such a thing. However, to use that comparison is like comparing apples and oranges. This is a woman who had no such tragedy as yours befall her and who looked just fine before her numerous surgeries. Image issues, no matter what the “look” someone has, are always internal ones. Always.

To Cindy, who called Natalie jealous! Omigosh–even from the pic on this website, and certainly, most certainly, if you knew her in person to behold both her inner and outer being, could you EVER say she has one darn reason to be jealous of your attention-starved and narcissistic self.

Natalie has a concern for all people–both their inner and outer beauty, it seems to me. Not with all the fame in the world could you ever hold a candle anywhere her bright flame. Your candle would blow itself out in shame. Natalie has a real life and an obvious sense of purpose. What is yours except to make yourself ever more like a thing that is not real and has no soul?

May 6, 2009 at 5:59 pm
(7) plasticsurgery says:

To be clear, I never said (nor did I mean to imply) that Cindy Jackson is not an attractive woman after all her surgeries. I just meant that I thought she was already quite attractive BEFORE all her surgeries.

For the record, I think her plastic surgeons have done an excellent job. Though she’s had a LOT of work done, she doesn’t look like she’s had fifty surgeries (maybe only ten-fifteen?)

The purpose of my blog was not in any way to disparage Ms. Jackson’s appearance, but to question the relationship of plastic surgery obsession to mental/emotional health.

Cindy Jackson says she is “not addicted to plastic surgery, because addiction means that one is unable to stop a behavior.” According to Ms. Jackson, she simply does not want to stop. Now who am I to argue with that kind of logic?

Obviously, I am not against plastic surgery. I’ve had some myself, and I write about it for a living. I just happen to believe there is such a thing as (way) too much of a good thing.

May 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm
(8) confused says:

I must admit the before and after pictures of Cindy do look quite different. But hair styling, clothes and airbrushing and way, way too much make up is the main difference to me. I do wonder what prompted her into this foolish way of life. I mean what does she lack? Friends or family. Perhaps just real people. Her website is an appalling example of ego gone mad and is bizarre. The allusion to being part of a celebrity life style is telling and shallow. She is a has been ‘Z lister’ and is beginning to get that over done Joan Rivers look.

December 13, 2009 at 11:42 am
(9) Some Guy says:

Whatever makes you happy, as long as you don’t hurt others. She is against wearing real fur, that makes her one of the good ones no matter how much of a attention whore she may be.

December 16, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(10) jennyct says:

Wow. Cindy thinks the pic of her on this page is not flattering?

I did look at the website and I have to also wonder why it is so important for her to spend so much time and $$ on her looks? Attention? Narcissism? Ego? If I were vain, I wouldn’t publicize it!

And yes she does look lovely.

January 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm
(11) Whatever says:

She is not hurting anybody. she is just doing what it takes to make her dream come true. And (thank god)stating a point of comparison so that when a normal woman want to do only 1 surgery nobody thinks shes crazy. and i agree with the animal support thing. She can do as many surgery she wants as long is with her money, not hurting anybody and is even better that she is helping with some good kids, animals and cancer causes with her money. Keep it up cindy is your life do whatever u want with it.